Heading Home from New York



Thanks to everyone who came out for the event at the Metropolitan Museum of Art this weekend! We had a standing room only crowd of over 700, and there was a lot of great energy in the room. Super questions from the kids as usual. The Met staff was so well organized and helpful that it made even the long signing line go quickly. I got to do a podcast with the Greek & Roman curator Sean Hemmingway, which should be on the Met's website soon. I stopped by to say hi to the participants in the teachers' workshop -- great bunch of educators. I even got lunch in the cafe, with a beautiful view of Cleopatra's Needle in Central Park (and yes, that's a scene from Red Pyramid). Then it was time for the main event. I talked about the Percy Jackson series, of course, and gave the kids some ideas for pieces to look for in the museum that inspired chapter 1 of the Lightning Thief. I also gave them a sneak peek reading from the Red Pyramid, and the reception was great. The second picture is from the book signing, though it doesn't show the line of hundreds of people that were waiting! Still, everyone was so patient and gracious. Thanks to the Met for hosting us. The Wall Street Journal speakeasy blog has a short write-up of the event if you want to hear more.

The rest of the weekend was also a lot of fun. My mom was my travel companion, and we got to see some great museums -- the MoMA, the Cloisters, the Guggenheim and the Brooklyn Museum. I normally don't get time to do stuff like that when I travel, so it was a real treat. We also stopped by Books of Wonder so I could see the prints from John Rocco's recent art show there. Of course, I ordered some for myself, too! The prints are even more amazing in person, and there are still signed ones left, so contact the store if you're interested in picking up some Percy Jackson history.

In other exciting news, Symphony Space just posted about my launch event for The Red Pyramid on May 4. That will be my next public event, and the first event for the May tour. If you're in the NYC area, make plans to join the party. You might want to reserve tickets soon, though, because if the Met event is any indication, they will sell out quickly.

Now, back to Texas and back to writing! For those of you on spring break, safe travels and have fun!