Blogging from New York

I’m on my way out of New York City, having just finished a great event for the Guys Read Book Club at Symphony Space (my Broadway debut, as Becky puts it). It was definitely a thrill to see the Lightning Thief cover on the display outside the theater with a big SOLD OUT sign across it. We had a fantastic crowd of kids and parents. Despite the “Guys Read” event title, I was happy to see that our audience was about half girls and half boys, which is typically what I get at events. I think the Guys Read initiative to find books that boys like is a wonderful thing, but I’m also very happy the books appeal equally to girls.

I got to be interviewed by one of my long-time heroes Jon Scieszka. He asked in-depth questions, even managing to get me to confess about my days as a folk rock singer (a dark chapter in the history of modern music). I did a reading from Titan’s Curse, and the kids participated in a creative writing activity that asked them to modernize the god Hephaestus. They had amazing ideas! We had a huge book signing line afterwards. Thanks to all who came to the event and waited patiently to get their books autographed.

I also had lunch with my publicist and editor before the event and got the low-down on the forthcoming release of Titan’s Curse. Everything is looking great for a huge pub date. I now have details on my U.S. tour in May, which I’ll post on my on-line calendar in the next day or so. And now, back on the plane to Texas!